Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It could've been a jungle out there...

I found out last Friday while visiting with my mom something I never knew before. We were discussing how happy we were that my son has flat feet so couldn't join the service or be drafted. It's true, I am a very selfish mother. Anyway we were saying that since he is such a by the rule don't be weird (I know, who knew I could produce something so normal!) guy he would never leave anyone behind and would be killed doing something brave but unnecessary. This led to us talking about how like my father he is and my mom said that is why she told my dad, when he was ready to start jungle training for Vietnam she told him it was Vietnam or her!!!!!! I never knew that he was going to go to Vietnam! During the war! So scary! I knew he had been in the Air Force stationed overseas but always assumed he did his time before the war and got out just in time. Turns out he wanted to stay in! And was ready for jungle training! I could have been a have not. And she said it was REAL jungle training. Eating bugs and monkeys and guys dying from poisons and losing limbs to gangrene, and all kinds of horrible stuff. Brave daddy.

3 comments:

Mel said...

So how did he get out? I know he didn't chop a finger.... Your tag is too funny. Like you'll ever tag anything "jungle training" again :-)

Jana said...

I know, I love putting the tags on there all crazy. I don't even know except that he had already served 4 years, I will have to ask... No Owen Meany tricks....

Emily said...

My Dad tried to go to Vietnam because it paid more!! Isn't that retarded?! He was denied because he was a crypto person and was too much of a security liability if captured. (Woo!)