Southern Peach and Blackberry CrumbleA perfect ending to a summer supper or brunch, this homey dessert showcases peaches, blackberries, pecans, and cornmeal, all staples of Southern cuisine.
For this recipe, and for dozens of other Association-approved recipes, purchase The Big Book of Diabetic Desserts from our online store.
Recipe of the Day is sponsored by Domino® Light and C&H® Light
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
6 large ripe peaches (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled, pitted, and sliced or 3 1/2 cups unsweetened frozen sliced peaches, thawed
2 cups fresh blackberries or unsweetened frozen blackberries, unthawed
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp fresh grated lemon zest
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 Tbsp yellow cornmeal (not cornmeal mix)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp 67% vegetable oil butter-flavored spread, chilled
1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat an 8 x 8 glass baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the peaches, blackberries, flour, and lemon zest in a large bowl and toss to combine. Spoon into prepared dish.
- Combine the brown sugar, cornmeal, cinnamon, and butter-flavored spread in a medium bowl.
- Blend together using a pastry blender or your fingertips until the butter-flavored spread is uniformly incorporated.
- Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle evenly over the peach mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbly around the edges. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
1 1/2 Carbohydrate
Calories from Fat: 58
Total Fat: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 37 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 24 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 17 g
Protein: 2 g