Thursday, March 5, 2009

Retarded, Disabled, Special Needs, Medically Needy

How do I refer to my sweetpea? To those who don't know her...
To me, retarded brings to mind certain characterizations and movements I don't want associated with her, as they aren't true.
Disabled is okay, and what I usually say, but as with medically needy or medically fragile, not quite appropriate. She has medical issues, yes, but not that hinder her day to day, it also doesn't infer that she is delayed in motor/language skills.
What do you think?

2 comments:

Mel said...

What do the doctors and nurses "classify" her as? I would think developmentally disabled or developmentally delayed would be appropriate. The second sounds more optimistic....

Jana said...

They always have her listed as multiple "things". Genetic disorder, HLHS, etc. with each medical issue listed separately. I knew you readers (Mel) could help me! I think you are right, developmentally delayed...