Monday, June 22, 2009

Letter to a daughter, or 2...



In the tradition of Dooce I am going to start writing letters to my kids. Although with a lot less eloquence and humor....

Dear Alexia,
You are 14 getting close to 15 and even though I believe you are purposely trying to drive me crazy right now, I know that it has nothing to do with me and you are trying to find yourself. I wish you could find you on your own without the help of your friends, and hope that one day you will you will realize how awesome you are. You make me proud the way you are with kids and animals and fashion and art. You have an instinct that I never had and a magnatism that draws these things to you. You are patient and kind and fair with others and I hope you can be kind and fair to yourself.
Since you have exhausted your grandparents, when your brother comes to visit us in the hospital he is bringing you along. Even though I know you will be kind of bored here and missing your friends, I am excited that you will be here with us. Faith loves you more than anything and she needs some more fun than I have to give her. Brush your teeth and be good for Grandma, Papa, and Brit.
Love,
mom

Faith,
It is day 21 in the hospital and you are the best little girl ever. You hardly complain and are such a good patient, even though you have no right to be as much as we have tortured you. Unfortunately I don't see much letting up of the torturing until your little body decides to cooperate!! I completely believe that your attitude is helping and will help you to heal. While waiting for your walks that you love or to be picked up, you have a patience your parents can't even begin to believe. You wait while I check your tube, move, unsuction, position, re-check, re-position, and arrange your tubing. Then wait some more while we try to pick you up without hurting you, or kinking your tube, and while we try to do it smoothly, which is nearly impossible. To pick you up under your bottom and support your back at the same time, with your low muscle tone, makes you feel 25 pounds heavier than normal. I am sorry for every time I hurt you when picking you up. The nurses and doctors all love you because you are cute and strong and happy and busy. I think the curly fro helps too.
You push us away when we try to cuddle because you are a big girl and don't need mom and dad all up in your business.
Hang in there and I hope we can take you home soon.
Love,
mama

No comments: